Friday, November 7, 2008

Charity

I dont have any way of saying this without sounding crude, I have never understood peoples motivation in doing charity. In this big bad world of killers and super duper killers like Osama, is there any good left?
Well once again I have been proved wrong! Out of my own will to contribute in some way, I have offered my services to an NGO called Give India. Today was my first day there. Having spent some time with my team members, I realised, that I am so so wrong. They told me about this gentleman who has recently sold off his business, and made a TON of money. He realised that now is his chance to help the underprivilaged.
This guy got in touch with Give India and told them he wants to start working with their various causes to help the needy. Not only that, he has also considered which themes (e.g. children, elderly, health, blidness, etc etc) he wants to adopt. He knows which geographical area he wants these efforts to be centered around. He has also laid out a 3-4 year plan for his charitable activites. Isnt that a well thought out approach? Many of think "Karna Hai" but it gets lost somewhere in translation.
I am very happt and impressed to hear his example. This has only encouraged me to reach out to people and ask then to contribute to the various causes of charity. But also seriously evaluate how I can contribute to making our world a better place. I have taken the first step and started work with Give India. Lets all get together and make it a great place to live in.

No comments: